Monday, June 26, 2017

Of Joseph and Dreams

My husband talked me into auditioning for our local production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I have never participated in theater at any level, let alone musical theater. But I was cast as a wife and am trying to learn to sing and dance at the same time. I'll write more on that later.

What has struck me about this show is what the writers got right. There are some artistic liberties taken but the essence is on point. The problem that Joseph's brothers had was not with his coat; what bothered them were his dreams and his sharing of those dreams without knowing what they meant. If you know the story (either from reading the Bible or watching the show), the meaning unfolds over the length of the show. And it reminded me of something I heard one time. I wish I remembered who told me because I would like to give them credit but the idea is this:

Don't share your dream (vision/goal) with just anyone.

That's not to say you don't share your dreams, just be careful with whom you share. There are many people in the world who appear to take delight in being the "destroyer of dreams." The internet has unfortunately birthed trolls, those people who are incessantly negative and hide behind the computer screen in relative anonymity, criticizing and tearing down others. Clearly, these are not the people who should be your dream confidants.

But we must also be cautious in our daily life. There are people in your life who are actually jealous of your life or some aspects of it. You may not believe me but it is true. You may not know it and will be caught off guard when that jealousy rears its ugly head. Sometimes these are friends and sometimes these are family. Even Joseph's father didn't understand his dreams. Also beware of people who don't really know you that want to offer unsolicited advice or "constructive criticism." If this is someone you respect and has experience in the area of which you dream is, listen with a grain of salt, considering the source. If not, you can't just say, "No thanks! I'm good."

Then there is your tribe: that close knot of friends and family who love you and support you no matter how outrageous your vision is. They will help reign you in if needed but they will hold you up and protect you as you pursue that dream. These are the people you share your dream with and maybe ask to come alongside with you or maybe just pray for you.

I hope that you have that dream, vision or goal of a better life for you or your family or your community. Find that tribe. Learn from the negative nancies and avoid them in the future. Reach for that dream. I believe in you.

Now another note about the musical Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. This is the 50th Anniversary of the musical and it is likely there is a production near you. I urge you to go see it and clap and stomp at the end. There is a lot of work that goes into this (and any production) and these local volunteers are doing this for you. I have not been as supportive of local theater as I'd like to be and plan to change this in the future. I hope you'll join me. And keep an eye out for the wife on stage right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time out of your day to visit. I'd love to hear back from you.