Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Power of Influence

As I was listening to radio while I got ready for work, I heard the DJs talking about how their teachers in school helped to shape their lives for the future. One in particular was talking about his teacher that suggested he join the annual staff. That experience eventually led him to what he does now. I wonder if that teacher ever knew.

I am fortunate to be Facebook friends with several of my former teacher. I'm glad that Facebook can show them how we turned out (hopefully it encourages them). I have a multitude of family and friends who work professionally as teachers at all levels of education. They have had, and continue to have, a powerful influence in the lives of their students.

But I like to think that, at some level, we are all teachers and we are all students. As a professional (Speech Language Pathologist), I teach on a very specialized level. I also learn very specialized information. But I don't just teach my patients, I try to teach their families and caregivers. I try to remember to teach them where they are in life and in the current situation. I have had families who thought I did a poor job with their loved one and others who wouldn't go to anyone else for therapy. Isn't that what happens to all of us? We connect with some of our "students" and others we cannot reach no matter what we try to do. Regardless, we have influence and I need never forget it. I remember the compassion and effort that so many of my teachers showed. Some did not and I remember that also. So my goal for today, and each day, is to remember my influence and my need to show compassion, and to let go of the result. Many times I literally see their progress and it is amazing. But some times, I never do and never will, which is why I have to let go of the results.

But if you can say thank you to your teachers (professional or otherwise), let them know. I'm sure it will make their day.

1 comment:

  1. Well said! I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time out of your day to visit. I'd love to hear back from you.