Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Learning to Love the Process

The alternate title to this post is "Dealing with Disappointment." This week my coworkers asked me to wear black in *honor* of our supervisor's fortieth birthday. When I put on my black scrubs, they fit more snugly and uncomfortably than I remembered. This is where the disappointment reared its ugly head. As I reported in my last post, I've been exercising four days a week for the last couple of weeks. However, it hasn't shown up in my clothes yet. The situation reminds me of a bit of wisdom shared with me many years ago: An expectation is a premeditated resentment. Or tweaked for my circumstance, a premeditated disappointment.


So I have to change my way of thinking, specifically my beliefs about myself. James Clear calls this transformation Identity-Based Habits. Instead of my goal being to lose 75 pounds, I change how I identify myself. My current identity is "I'm a fat person who needs to lose weight." I'm working on changing it to "I am the kind of person who doesn't miss a workout"with a corollary being "I am the kind of person who takes the stairs at every opportunity." Here's the magic: Behind every behavior is a feeling, and behind every feeling is a belief. My work is to change my belief of my identity and what I can control. No matter how hard I try, I have little control over the numbers that show up on that scale. I can control how much I move, for how long and at what level. So who do you believe you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time out of your day to visit. I'd love to hear back from you.