Friday, July 12, 2013

Organizing

I love organization. I mean I really love it. I all but drool driving by The Container Store, let alone walk into the store itself. Baskets enthrall me like shoes or purses do to most women. I can't pass up a good box because it might go to waste. And don't get me started on things that nest or stack.

So it is ironic that I have so much clutter in my life. Maybe my obsession with organization and containers is a reflection of how I want my living space to look. Maybe if I had that one box (or twenty) and that set of shelves, everything would just fit into place and I would be clutter free. Alas, it is not the case.

Yesterday evening, while my dearly beloved lovingly washed dishes, I started straightening up the living room. Yes, I should have done it long ago. Yes, I know I should put things away instead of just setting it down. But I'm not writing this for self-flagellation. Or as it is said in Rational Emotive Therapy, "should-ing" on myself. I'm writing this to know that I can do it and to remind myself how things looked so much better; to know that all it takes is one small action after another.

1 comment:

  1. I am soooooo with you on this one. I love looking at all the new storage ideas at the home improvement store, or even Target. I get excited by boxes, baskets, and bins. I love clean lines, label makers, and perfectly folded clothes. My house is a wreck. It's not the "stuff" that gets us organized, its the behaviors. I'm a work in progress on that front.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time out of your day to visit. I'd love to hear back from you.